My work in the innovation lab focuses a lot on product marketing and sales execution—determining marketing schedules, writing content, pitching products. Recently, I’ve taken interest in a pillar of our 3-year vision that I think I can have a profound effect on: Strengthen the innovation and commercialization discipline across the organization.
It’s right down my community management experience alley. As an after-hours project, I’ve taken on the task of figuring out how our team can create a community of innovation across our greater organization.
I’m starting to think about how we can package thought-leadership material to educate and position our agency as a center of innovation while creating experiences centered on innovative thinking. I’ve outlined my initial approach below. These are very early tactics…building a community takes much more than these pieces of content and the experiences start to create a foundation.
- Amplify – A quarterly publication that “amplifies” stories and examples of innovative thinking from across the organization. Case studies and interview will highlight individuals and their teams. Designed to be shared with clients.
- Hashtag Innovation – Forget RSS feeds and newsletters with dozens of links. Hashtag Innovation features a single idea that could change the way we think about our organization’s work.
- RepLab Quarterly – To get insights from the field, we developed a program that allows us to work directly with sales reps to gather insight from the field and ideate new solutions. The group meets quarterly, I’d like to create a report out from those meetings to share with our organization and clients.
- Innovation Incubator – Train people to think in new ways. We have innovation strategists on staff or could utilize an outside firm to create an exclusive 6 week course on innovation.
- Amplifier – Amplifier is a process that already exists to collect and vet ideas from people across the organization. Amplifier provides cash incentives to ideators and investment in the idea by the company.
- RepLab – A group of reps that our team has organized to co-create new solutions with.
Look for a deck about this soon.